Equality and Diversity Policy
1.1 The aim of this policy is to communicate the commitment of Hednesford Town Council, its Members and Officers to meeting the Public Sector Equality Duty, which came into force on 5 April 2011. The Equality Duty applies to public bodies and others carrying out public functions. It supports good decision-making by ensuring public bodies consider how different people will be affected by their activities, helping them to deliver policies, representation and services, which are efficient and effective; accessible to all; and which meet different people’s needs.
2. Policy Statement
It is Hednesford Town Council’s policy to provide representation, information, facilities, services and employment to all irrespective of:
- Gender, including gender reassignment
- Marital or civil partnership status
- Having just had a baby or being pregnant
- Having or not having dependants
- Religious belief or political opinion
- Race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins)
- Sexual orientation
Hednesford Town Council is opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All people and employees will be treated fairly and will not be discriminated against on any of the above grounds. All decisions about will be made objectively and without unlawful discrimination.
Hednesford Town Council recognises that supporting Equality is of primary importance. This policy will help all those who are Council Members or work for the Council to develop sound and effective policies that impact on the community and surrounding areas.
Hednesford Town Council aims to create a culture that respects and values each other’s’ differences, that promotes dignity, equality and diversity. We aim to remove barriers, bias or discrimination that prevent individuals or groups from realizing their potential and contributing fully to the community to develop a culture that positively values diversity.
Hednesford Town Council will challenge discrimination. It aims to provide equality and fairness to all in the community and expects all Members and Officers to be aware and understand the Equality Act 2010.
3. Equality Commitments
Hednesford Town Council is committed to:
- Promoting equality of opportunity for all persons.
- Promoting a good and harmonious environment in which all persons are treated with respect.
- Preventing occurrences of unlawful direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and victimization.
- Fulfilling our legal obligations under equality legislation and associated codes of practice.
- Complying with our own equal opportunities policy and associated policies.
- Taking lawful affirmative and positive action where appropriate.
This policy has been adopted by and is fully supported by all Members of Hednesford Town Council.
The policy will be communicated to Members, the Town Council Manager/Clerk, other employees and members of the public Equal opportunities will be incorporated into general practices
Ensuring that other persons or organisations comply with the policy in their dealings with the Council
5. Monitoring and Review
This will be carried out as necessary In addition to the Council’s internal procedures, any person has the right to pursue complaints of discrimination under the Equality Act 2010
Approved June 2018